John E. Croot, Jr.
John E. Croot, Jr., Member of the Firm, concentrates his practice in the representation of boards of education and private schools in all areas of school law.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Rutgers College, B.A., Philosophy, 1983
- New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1988
- New York, 1996
Mr. Croot counsels education clients in all aspects of school law and related fields, including: student discipline, tenure and seniority, bullying and harassment, First Amendment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, New Jersey Family Leave Act, New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, Open Public Meetings Act, Open Public Records Act, contract negotiation and interpretation, and the review and drafting of policies and by-laws. He also provides legal representation at board and committee meetings, including acting as parliamentarian.
Mr. Croot has extensive experience representing public and private education clients in litigation before the Superior Courts of New Jersey, Office of Administrative Law, Commissioner of Education, Public Employment Relations Commission, New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, Division of Workers Compensation, United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights and the Government Records Council.
- New Jersey Association of School Attorneys
- New Jersey State Bar Association: School Law Committee, Labor and Employment Law Section and Workers Compensation Section
- New York State Bar Association
Relevant Reported Decisions
- Palmer v. Merluzzi, 689 F.Supp. 400 (D.N.J. 1988), aff’d 868 F.2d. 90 (3d Cir. 1989).
- In re Tenure Hearing of Gilbert Young, 2009 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1686 (App. Div. June 25, 2009), aff’d 202 N.J. 145 (2009).
- The TEACHNJ ACT: A First Look at the New Tenure Law, School Leader Magazine, Volume 43, Number 3, November/December 2012
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Panelist for the Mock Board Meeting program and co-presented break-out session on Public Participation at Board Meetings at the New Jersey School Boards Association’s Annual Workshop in Atlantic City, October 2011 and October 2012.
- Panelist for the program “School Law Update” at the New Jersey State Bar Association Convention in Atlantic City, May 2012.
- Presented the program “Harassment, Intimidation, Bullying and the Independent School” at the Trustee Enrichment Day of the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools, November 2011.
- Panelist for the program “Bullies Beware! Legal Aspects of Bullying in the Schools and Off School Grounds” presented at the New Jersey State Bar Association Convention in Atlantic City, May 2011.
- Co-presenter of the program “Student Rights and Responsibilities” for the Morris County Association of School Administrators, August 2010.
- Presented the program “Religion and the Public Schools” at the New Jersey State Bar Association Convention in Atlantic City, May 2010.
- Presented the program “Student and Employee Off Campus Conduct – How Far Can a School Board Reach?” at the School Law Forum in conjunction with the New Jersey School Boards Association Annual Workshop in Atlantic City, October 2009.
- Presented at annual firm seminars for board presidents and vice presidents on “Effective Board Leadership.