Lawrence S. Schwartz
Lawrence S. Schwartz, Managing Director, is considered one of New Jersey’s leading experts in educational and labor law. He guides the firm in providing counsel in both legal employment and labor matters to school boards throughout the state, as well as commercial and corporate clients. Although noted for his work on education-related matters, Mr. Schwartz also stewards clients on corporate and commercial concerns, including civil trials.
- Rutgers University School of Law (Newark), J.D.,1965
- Lafayette College, B.A., 1962
- New Jersey, 1965
- New Jersey Supreme Court, 1965
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1965
- United States Supreme Court, 1979
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1979
- United States Tax Court, 1979
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey Association of School Board Attorneys
- Vice President
- National School Board Association Council of School Attorneys
- Educational Negotiators Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
Professional and Civic Service Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer by Lexis Nexis® Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to The Best Lawyers in Amercia by Woodward/White
- Belleville Board of Education
- Member and President 1970-1979
- New Jersey School Boards Association
- President 1976-1978
- Member, Public Employment Relations Commission 1978-1979
- Board of Governors, Rutgers University 1981-1984
- Magister, Phi Delta Phi, Legal Fraternity
As Managing Director, Mr. Schwartz has served on state and national education task forces, presented testimony before the New Jersey State Legislature and the State Board of Education, and lectured at state and national conferences.
As school board counsel, he has appeared before the Office of Administrative Law, Commissioner of Education, State Board of Education and Public Employment Relations Commission, as well as state and federal courts. In addition to representing school boards in those forums, Mr. Schwartz serves as spokesperson and legal consultant for collective negotiations and arbitration matters.
Early in his career, Mr. Schwartz worked as a staff attorney with a private firm, later served as a senior assistant prosecutor in the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office and began his private practice in 1968.